From iOS 13 and iPadOS, Apple takes gaming on an iPhone and iPad to a higher level. You can now easily connect a PlayStation 4 or Xbox controller. iPhoned shows how this works. PlayStation and Xbox controllers now work together with Apple Starting with iOS 13, iPadOS, tvOS 13 and macOS Catalina 10.15, your PlayStation or Xbox controllers are getting some new devices with which they can be paired. Apple abandons the rule that only MFI controllers (Made for iPhone) are supported and opens the software for two of the most popular controllers of the moment: the Sony DualShock 4 and Xbox One Wireless Controller.
Note: the Xbox controller that is packaged with the original Xbox One (and not the Xbox 1S or 1X) does not work with this function. That is because this controller has no built-in Bluetooth and therefore cannot be paired with your Apple devices.
You can connect a PlayStation or Xbox controller to your iPhone, iPad, Mac or Apple TV
- Open the settings on your Apple device;
- Make sure that Bluetooth is switched on;
- Turn on the controller, press and hold the PlayStation button and Share button on the PlayStation controller for five seconds;
- Go to the Bluetooth settings on your Apple device;
- Wait until the controller appears in the list of devices;
- Connect by tapping or clicking on the name of the controller.
Have you finished gaming and are you having trouble connecting the controller to your game console? Then you can go through the steps below.
You break the connection between your iPhone and PlayStation or Xbox controller
- Open the Bluetooth settings on your Apple device;
- Click on the controller and “Forget this device”.
The good news is that hundreds of apps already support this new feature. If a game recognized an MFi controller, it now also works with Microsoft and Sony controllers. Also handy: with a linked controller you can operate the full menu of tvOS 13, so that you feel Apple TV as a fully-fledged game console.
Works directly with hundreds of games
In addition to games such as Fortnite, Oceanhorn and Real Racing, the new feature also comes in handy for the Remote Play app from PlayStation and Steam Link. With these apps you stream a game directly from your computer or PlayStation to your iPad or iPhone, which you can then play with the linked controller. Depending on your internet connection, this is a good way to play your favorite games on your iOS device.